Monday, March 23, 2009

Book List

So I just finished reading a couple of really good books. The authors concepts are great for small business entrepreneurs who strive for excellence in their local communities. I especially enjoyed reading the stories of how real people and businesses flourished in their local economies and analyzing the path that made them great.

Small Giants by Bo Burlingham

I especially like Bo's chapter called, "The Mona Lisa Principle," where he describes how every community has its own character. He describes small giants as businesses that are so "intimately connected to the place where they're located that it's hard to imagine them being anywhere else." He goes on to say, "The companies' owners and employees have a strong sense of who they are, and where they belong, and how they're making a difference to their neighbors, friends, and others they touch."

Deep Economy by Bill McKibben


I found myself agreeing and disagreeing with Mr. McKibben is this book, but I still thought it was a good read. He tended to take some of his concepts to an extreme but he still managed to offer rich details of local economies across the world.

No comments: