Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Chilly Days

I think the cold weather caused me to go into hibernation these past few months. Just because I do not update the site doesn't mean that everything has stalled. In fact things are moving forward nicely. Lafayette has finished construction of the underground parking and they've started the steel framing. I will post pictures of the development soon. There is still not an accurate date of when construction will cease, but it should be at least 9 more months. I hope the doors will be wide open before Christmas...

In the mean time, I have been having a lot of fun researching and planning for Jubala. While I have a good grasp of my concept, I am always looking for ways to improve it. After all this is a business. I have learned a lot from Counter Culture Coffee, our coffee roaster. They are well respected in the the coffee industry and strive for coffee excellence... a concept I am very fond of. CCC is based in Durham and roast for a few specialty coffee shops around the Triangle. One of my favorite spots is 3 Cups in Chapel Hill. http://www.3cups.net/
This place has become a local favorite to those living in and around Chapel Hill. They serve five or six coffee origins daily, all from Counter Culture Coffee. There are several ways they make their coffee. You will not find the brewing equipment that most are used to here. Instead of brewing large batches of coffee every hour in automatic brewing machines, they go a different route. If you need a cup to go, they most likely will make a cup using a drip cone technique. This process involves ground coffee, a porcelain drip cone, a filter, hot water, and your "to go" cup. The filter is placed in the porcelain cone and the ground coffee is then dropped in. Hot water and gravity do the rest. Water is poured into the filter and the coffee filters through the cone right into your cup. Easy concept, yet entertaining to watch.
If you decide to stay you have the option to order a french press. They combine the coffee and hot water in one of four french press sizes and give you a tray with the french press, a sand timer, and a warm mug. When the timer is done you push down on the press, pour, and enjoy. There are many other reasons why I enjoy 3 Cups, but I encourage you to visit yourself!

No comments: